Trade Platform .NET on VS2010

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM

hi,

Trade Platform .NET require .NET 4.5 along with VS2012. 

I searched on internet & came to realize that few people say .NET 4.5 works with VS2010 on their machine. So targeting .NET 4.5 in VS2010 is possible. But most of the articles from msdn or other sources said that it won't. Targting of .NET 4.5 with VS2010 is not possible.

I am little confused whether should I migrate to VS2012 from VS2010  just for Trade Platform .NET. Or Trade Platform .NET work in VS2010 ?

Please let me know your answer.

regards

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Hi,

technically it's possible to target .NET 4.5 from VS2010, but it is not documented so it's kinda experimental way. Also I believe some enthusiasts out there did that and posted articles. Also I suppose VS2010 will be not able gain all from .NET 4.5 as newer framework has some C# 5.0 features which for sure not supported by VS2010.

The reason we are targeting VS12/.NET4.5/C#5.0 is that we consider being on technology edge. We all have to upgrade to VS12 at some point earlier or later and I don't see reasonable explanation to postpone this process.

What prevents you to upgrade to VS12?

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Edited Oct 26, 2012 at 1:48 PM
vladkalos wrote:

Hi,

technically it's possible to target .NET 4.5 from VS2010, but it is not documented so it's kinda experimental way. Also I believe some enthusiasts out there did that and posted articles. Also I suppose VS2010 will be not able gain all from .NET 4.5 as newer framework has some C# 5.0 features which for sure not supported by VS2010.

The reason we are targeting VS12/.NET4.5/C#5.0 is that we consider being on technology edge. We all have to upgrade to VS12 at some point earlier or later and I don't see reasonable explanation to postpone this process.

What prevents you to upgrade to VS12?

I read article about when VS11 beta released. It has some problem targeting .NET 4.0 application which was created with VS2010. I have some application which was built using .NET 2.0, .NET 4.0.  So I didn't migrate to VS11 that time. But not sure if VS2012 support .NET 2.0 application created by VS2010. Thats why it prevents me to migrate to VS12. I don't really know whether VS12 is now providing that. I will check with VS12 documentation online.

Regards  

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I claim, that you can develop .NET 4.0 project in VS12 without any troubles. about 2.0 not sure as I just don't have at the moment any project with 2.0 runtime. But I don't believe that there are problems because for framework targeting used same component as we had in VS10.

Beta from MS is always something barely stable, so you should take that into account. I suggest you to migrate to VS12 it has contradictory UI (can be changed to blue one which I like more) and Team Explorer is something that makes me cry, but performance is much better and it has several nice improvements.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:58 PM
vladkalos wrote:

I claim, that you can develop .NET 4.0 project in VS12 without any troubles. about 2.0 not sure as I just don't have at the moment any project with 2.0 runtime. But I don't believe that there are problems because for framework targeting used same component as we had in VS10.

Beta from MS is always something barely stable, so you should take that into account. I suggest you to migrate to VS12 it has contradictory UI (can be changed to blue one which I like more) and Team Explorer is something that makes me cry, but performance is much better and it has several nice improvements.

Thanks for your valuable reply. I will migrate to VS 2012 & try Trade Platform .NET as soon as possible.